Tuesday 22 February 2011

Black Swan

For my Magazine and Markets module we had to write a review on a new book, film and album. With the raving reviews and countless nominations i wrote about Black Swan. So here's a little self publishing....





Black Swan


Prudence Patterson

Facebook and Twitter pushed me to the cinema to cast my own opinion on something so popular. Black Swan, now nominated for countless Baftas, Oscars and already claiming victory at the Golden Globes, I thought I should head on down to my local Cineworld.
Once entering my moderately packed cinema, popcorn in hand, I was pulled into a dark Swan Lake story.
Natalie Portman’s portrayal of Nina Sayers, an up and coming Ballerina within her dance company, is thrilling yet disturbing at times, Sayers gets chosen as the Principle Dancer to play Queen Swan. Her natural character as vulnerable White Swan is evident in her natural persona; the story develops as she tries to discover the seductive and powerful Black Swan.
Vincent Cassel plays the manipulative dance director who’s in danger of becoming a failure and chooses Nina and Swan Lake to lift the production company. His negativity towards Nina’s lack of Black Swan causes her to embody the story of Swan Lake into her own life.
The gripping, yet eye covering actions that Nina undergoes to become Black Swan are horrifying, and at times confusing, but like all good stories it comes together in the end and the climax is worth the wait.
My idea of it was that it was going to be a pretty ballerina film, with a few pirouettes and a nice ending. From being a dancer before, I didn’t realise so much blood would be used. There where scenes where I had to look away as director Darren Aronofsky created his dark twist.
Acknowledgment should be given to Barbara Hershey as the could been seen ‘pushy mother’ who gave up her chance of dance to have Nina. Her fearfulness for Nina is shown, and you almost feel for her as we try to understand what is happening to her little girl. The introduction of Mila Kunis who plays fellow dancer and newbie to the company, Lily, triggers the ‘wild child’ in Portman with some lesbian action that pushes the boundaries. I was aware there would be some kissing, but not to this extent.
For me I’m almost still undecided. It’s hard to enjoy a story when something is so fear-provoking. Maybe that’s what Aronosky’s task was, to make us fall in love, and then like a rug, rip it out from underneath us.
Portman is stunning, and deserves all the accolade she is receiving, and she is supported well from her cast members. Darren captured her life brilliantly, but the camera was a little shaky, like a hand held moving around in the thick of it. But would I watch it again? Maybe when it comes out on DVD so I can pause when I get too frightened. 

1 comment:

  1. Defo would make me wanna go see it!
    ...if I hadn't already ;)
    Loving your work x

    ReplyDelete